Last Updated on
Both Moink Box and Butcher Box are meat distributors. They aren’t online grocery stores or farms.
Instead, they both collaborate with several family-owned farms that supply these two companies with organic chicken, heritage breed pork, and grass-fed beef. Then, all these fresh products are shipped to your doorstep every month, based on your membership.
Main Differences between Moink vs Butcher Box
The Main Differences between Moink vs Butcher Box are:
- Moink delivers in 50 states, whereas Butcher Box covers only 48 states
- Moink offers a satisfaction guarantee, whereas on the Butcher Box website I couldn’t find this kind of perk
- Moink Box features approximately 30 different products, whereas Butcher Box offers a broader selection of available items (around 60)
- Moink also delivers wild-caught seafood, whereas Butcher Box only markets meat
Moink vs Butcher Box Comparison – Brief Overview
Moink Box is a meat delivery service. They claim to offer ethically-sourced meat that is sourced from family-owned farms. Once you subscribe, you will be able to choose the right kind of meat that suits your preferences. You can even pair it with wild-caught seafood. The company allows you to fully control all the items that are included in your order as well as the delivery frequency.
Shipping is always free, and Moink Box covers all 48 continental states.
With Butcher Box, you will receive monthly meat delivery. They provide chicken, beef, and pork, all of which are healthy and tasty options. Decide on the subscription that suits your preferences best, handpick the products you want to get in the package and let the company’s specialists do the choosing.
All orders benefit from free shipping. Moink Box’s delivery service covers 50 states.
Moink vs Butcher Box – What Are They?
Moink Box was created in 2017. Its founder is an 8th-generation farmer with plenty of experience in this industry. This provider is quite popular among meat lovers if we look at its social media feedback. Its many clients have a lot of positive things to say about Moink, especially about its wild-caught seafood and ethically-sourced meat.
Butcher Box was founded in 2015, by Mike Salguero. He wanted to provide people with grass-fed beef as well as other healthy meat options. What once was just a humble startup is now a successful meat delivery business. According to them, they apply humane practices, and they quickly deliver high-quality meat.
This meat distributor works on a monthly subscription service. Clients create personal accounts, and they choose the package they would like to receive.
Moink vs Butcher Box – How They Work
Moink’s founders had cost-effectiveness in their minds, among other things, when they started this subscription-based ordering system. All new customers have the possibility to select one of the company’s four available membership types. Each membership has its own characteristics in terms of the meat and seafood they contain.
Clients can opt for the delivery frequency they like as well as for the content of each of their ordered boxes. With Moink’s fresh products, you will never get bored because they change their meat and seafood selection on a regular basis.
Some of the things most boxes contain are chicken, lamb, pork, and wild-caught seafood. Based on their current selection, you can opt from one of their subscription types. Some clients want to order beef only while others prefer a mix of beef, salmon, and chicken. When lamb is also available, you can include it in the package if you want.
The company’s representatives curate everything that goes inside each box. However, customers can replace some of the items with other available options. You will benefit from limitless substitutions.
In regards to their delivery frequency, there are three possible alternatives:
- Once per every three weeks;
- Once per month;
- Every six weeks.
All the memberships featured by Moink Box are highly flexible, which enables you to reschedule shipping, include more products in your package, cancel the subscription any time you want, or even opt for a different type of subscription.
With this membership-based meat shipping service, you will receive fresh and high-quality meat at home, effortlessly. You can either opt for a monthly subscription or choose to get the package every other month based on your family’s needs. There are over 60 available meat options in the company’s catalog, included in the following assortment categories:
- Free-range organic chicken;
- Grass-fed beef;
- Heritage-breed pork.
You can also select from either premium cuts or convenience alternatives. The company markets two types of boxes:
- The Curated Box – the cuts included in this package are selected by the company’s team;
- The Custom Box – with this option, the provider will deliver a box full of cuts of your choice.
Either way, you can choose your desired box size and the items you want the box to come with. This meat subscription program has plenty of benefits. Butcher Box offers special promotions that only members can access. You will also enjoy their free shipping services, delicious recipe ideas, and many other exciting perks.
Your subscription can be either paused or canceled at any time.
Moink vs Butcher Box – What Do They Offer?
Moink Box Products
Moink doesn’t sell mass-produced meat. Therefore, you will have to select items that are included in their product availability based on the small farms that the company cooperates with. Whenever you want to place an order, you will be able to choose from around 30 different seafood and meat alternatives.
Each box contains between 8 and 10 products, and it weighs between 13 and 16 pounds. So, on average, the content of one box suffices for 35-40 servings. Even though you can choose from four different box types at all times, the items included in the package might change based on the available cuts.
As I am writing this review, the Moink Box website features the following options:
- Small box – boneless ribeye, chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, NY strip, thick-cut bacon, chuck or arm roast, sockeye salmon filet;
- Medium box – chicken thighs, chicken wings, boneless ribeye, large sockeye salmon filet, sockeye salmon filet, chuck or arm roast, thick-cut bacon, and pork breakfast sausage.
As you can see, the content of the two boxes mentioned above is pretty similar, with many common products. Still, you can customize your order and add more of the things you love. According to most clients, Moink Box has excellent packaging, which ensures that the entire order arrives safely and in optimal shape.
Butcher Box Products
At Butcher Box, you can use either curate or customize your ordered box:
- Curated box – you can explore a wide range of meat options that are selected by the Butcher Box team;
- Customized box – with this option, you can control the entire selection process to make sure that all the products you include in the box will suit your family’s nutritional needs.
Each of the box types listed above has two available size choices:
- Classic Box – contains 24 meals for the curated box and 30 meals for the customized box;
- Big Box – comes with 48 individual meals if you choose the curated box; the customized big box contains 60 meals.
At the moment, there are also some other options on the website that you can select from:
- The Mixed Box – this choice might contain the following items: ground beef, sirloin steaks, boneless chicken breast, and whole pork tenderloin;
- Beef and chicken – with this option, you will get NY strip steaks, chicken drumsticks, ground beef, chicken breast, and sirloin steaks;
- Beef and pork – it contains ground beef, whole pork tenderloin, NY strip steaks, pork chops, and sirloin steaks;
- The All Beef Box – if you’re a fan of beef than this should be your ideal box; it provides you with ground beef, chuck roast, NY strip steaks, sirloin steaks, and premium steak tips.
Moink vs Butcher Box – Pricing Options
Moink’s pricing system is fairly simple. No matter what box you want to order, whether it is customized or not, the price will always be $159, for the medium-sized box. The small box costs $129. So, for the medium-sized option, the cost per serving is around $4.5.
Regardless of your location, the shipping is free of charge, and the company doesn’t apply any other additional costs.
Butcher Box is also offering a straightforward pricing policy. You will always know how much you will have to pay for each box you’re ordering. The price varies based on the size and type of boxes you choose.
One curated box can have the following prices:
If you want to order the customized version, then you will have to choose from one of the following alternatives:
Butcher Box allows its clients to add some extra products if they want to. One extra pack can cost between $7 and $25. This price range is due to the type of meat cuts you choose to add: convenience or premium cuts.
The company is highly transparent when it comes to costs, and they don’t apply any other fees than the ones already published on their website (which are the cost of the boxes). Shipping is free of charge.
Moink Box – What Makes It Different?
Moink Box supports small family farms and provides real meat that has a superior taste. It is free of any growth hormones and antibiotics. Their products come from grass-fed cattle and other animals that are fed with GMO-free grains. Also, all the company’s meat doesn’t contain nitrates and nitrites.
Butcher Box – What Makes It Different?
Butcher Box serves over 10,000 families all over the United States. It stands out due to the company’s unique sourcing methods. All the meat clients receive is ethically-sourced, of premium quality, and delicious. Their products don’t contain growth hormones or antibiotics. The animals are raised on family-run farms, humanely.
Moink vs Butcher Box – Delivery Area
Moink ships its meat boxes in all the continental states. All deliveries are processed via FedEx. The boxes are usually sent on Tuesdays and by Thursdays, at the latest, you will receive them at your doorstep. Depending on your location, you can even get the ordered box on Wednesdays.
When they ship your box, you may want to check your email to find out the tracking number that was assigned to your order. This way, you can keep track of your products during transit.
Any time something unusual happens with your delivery, you can easily contact the provider’s customer support, although that doesn’t seem to happen very often. Moink’s staff members reply quickly, and they are even willing to give you a full refund or replace some products in the next order.
To benefit from all the company’s perks, you must report the problem within a week since the delivery.
Butcher Box delivery service is a complex one that reaches all over the United States, except Hawaii and Alaska. As we speak, they are working to find an optimal solution that would allow their shipping expansion to these two areas and Canada.
The ordered boxes leave the company’s manufacturing facility every day, from Monday to Friday. Delivers take place from Tuesdays to Saturdays. You can have the boxes shipped at your house or your office. On the other hand, Butcher Box recommends its customers to avoid using a business location because of possible problems related to limited business hours.
Moink vs Butcher Box – Pros and Cons
Moink Box Advantages
- Their high-quality meat comes from ethic sources;
- They also provide wild-caught seafood;
- You can choose from a wide variety of fresh cuts;
- Customers can either choose curated box or opt for a customized one;
- Their subscription is highly flexible;
- The shipping is free;
- Moink Box has a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy.
Moink Box Disadvantages
- It is quite expensive;
- The selection is rather limited;
- The size of the box is fixed and cannot be changed.
Butcher Box Advantages
- They offer a high diversity of available meat options (over 60 high-quality choices);
- All their items are either organic or grass-fed;
- You can select from both convenience and premium cuts;
- Clients can opt for extra add-ons that are simply delicious;
- You can customize your own box with the products you like most;
- Their membership comes with excellent perks;
- The subscription has flexible terms;
- Shipping is always free;
- Clients also receive tasty recipe ideas.
Butcher Box Disadvantages
- It is a pretty expensive meat delivery service.
Moink vs Butcher Box – FAQ
Is ButcherBox a Reliable Meat Delivery Provider?
Yes, ButcherBox is totally worth it and it is a reputable and reliable meat delivery company. They offer high-quality and hormone-free products and their subscription plans are highly flexible.
Is Moink Box Meat Really Grass-Fed?
According to the company, which is a trustworthy one, all their meat comes from grass-fed cattle and other animals that have enjoyed a natural diet their entire lives. Moink Box products are healthy, fresh, and tasty.
Are Butcher Box and Moink Box Products Cheaper than Grocery Store Meat?
Considering that these two meat providers offer premium high-quality and natural products, their prices are higher than the ones applied by your local grocery store and that is completely understandable.
Moink vs Butcher Box – Main Alternatives
Here are some other great meat delivery options you could try:
- Carnivore Club – this delivery service provides cured meat. Some of the most delicious and popular Carnivore Club products are beef jerky and buffalo wing jerky. Their portion sizes are more than decent and the meat is very tasty;
- Omaha Steaks – this meat provider markets some yummy meat and seafood items. Besides these products, clients can also order cooked meals, sides, and desserts from Omaha Steaks;
- Greensbury – when it comes to organic meat delivery, Greensbury is one of the industry’s leaders. This company ships organic and natural poultry, beef, pork, bison, lamb, and seafood right at your doorstep.
- Crowd Cow – Crowd Cow is another aggregator for meat delivery, including a variety of cuts ands meats. Check out our full comparison to ButcherBox here.
- Fossil Farms – Fossil Farms is it’s own branded farmers network with a WIDE variety of meat products, including many harder to find meats.
Moink vs Butcher Box – Final Thoughts
Moink Box suits meat lovers who want to consume ethically-sourced and delicious products. Butcher Box works great for carnivorous families that are trying their best to eat healthy foods. Both providers offer high-quality and natural meat but Butcher Box features a wider selection of items.
Both Moink Box and Butcher Box have flexible subscriptions and they can both offer refunds, but Moink also has a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. All in all, it seems that most clients prefer Butcher Box. In terms of meal options, nutritional value, variety, price, and portion size, Butcher Box has received better ratings.