Bottom Line Up Front: These are my top picks for the best meal delivery options for bodybuilders..
- Factor Meals: Best Overall for Bodybuilders. A dedicated high protein meal plan and ready to heat and eat meals (no prep), make Factor my clear pick as the number one option.
- Fresh N Lean: Best for Diet Plans. If you are on Keto or Paleo, Factor has a plan for that, but Fresh N Lean goes beyond with 6+ other diet and food restriction plans (including Whole30, Mediterranean, and BULK meal plans).
- Territory Foods: Best Variety. A more premium eating experience if you are tiered of chicken and rice variations, Territory is chef created, with twice weekly deliveries for fresher meals. A great service to supplement a monotonous diet.
Bodybuilders work strategically to strengthen their muscles to attain a certain physical aesthetic, and diet is a huge part of this process.
Most of the time, bodybuilders need an increase in macronutrients and to adhere to stringent dietary guidelines.
In my work as a personal trainer, I focus on helping people gain muscle mass and lose fat mass. This goal supports healthy metabolism and can create noticeable shifts in body composition.
It’s also a positive way to approach improving fitness. Increasing high-quality protein intake often plays a really important role in achieving this goal.
Bodybuilders, however, take strength training to the next level, so they usually need to consume a more significant increase in all macronutrients, especially protein, and carbohydrates.
Researchers suggest that bodybuilders trying to build muscle and lose fat consume about 1.6–2.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight each day. This means that the ideal amount of protein for a bodybuilder would be up to 198 grams of protein per day for a 200 lb person(check with your nutritionist for your personalized recommendations!).
To give you an idea of how much protein a bodybuilder needs, one 6oz chicken breast contains about 40 grams of protein. In comparison, the recommended daily protein intake for a healthy adult who weighs 200 lb. is about 73 grams of protein.
The researchers further recommend that bodybuilders consume about 3 to 5 grams of carbohydrates per kilogram of body weight per day, which amounts to up to 450 grams per day for a 200 lb. person.
Many people are scared of consuming carbohydrates, but muscles need carbohydrates to fuel their movement, so they’re actually really important for bodybuilding and all other high-intensity activities.
Because bodybuilders often have extreme diets and workout schedules, it is a good idea to work with a nutritionist or doctor to ensure that your body is being nourished properly while building muscle in this way.
TL;DR A strict diet is necessary for successful bodybuilding. For best results, it is ideal to choose a meal plan with dietitian support, like Factor, to help you achieve your gain goals while getting the timely bodybuilding meal prep out of the way.
Why Do Bodybuilders Need a Meal Plan Delivery Service?
Bodybuilders often have rigorous dietary considerations and intensive workout routines but still have to maintain daily life, like heading to work and caring for their families.
That’s to say that your average bodybuilder is pretty busy. Thinking through macronutrients for every meal can become daunting, so it can be helpful to seek outside help.
Meal plans developed for bodybuilders have already done the work to measure macronutrients and test for flavors and consistency, so they can be a great option for someone who wants to take meal planning off their plate.
You might also be interested in: Best Meal Delivery Services for Fitness
The Best Bodybuilding Meal Delivery Services
There are a lot of meal plans that cater to the bodybuilding community. These meal plans mainly offer high-protein, high-carbohydrate meals that are suitable for bodybuilders’ unique macronutrient needs.
I considered each meal delivery plan based on these criteria for bodybuilder meal delivery plans:
- Macronutrient content that supports a bodybuilder’s gain goals
- Tasty menu options
- Easy delivery
- Accessible price point
Fresh N Lean for Bodybuilders
Fresh N Lean creates clean meals that could be great for bodybuilders. They offer a Protein+ meal plan that may cater to the increased macronutrient needs of bodybuilders. Their meals are made from clean ingredients, and their meats are free from antibiotics and hormones.
- The high-protein, high-carb meals in Fresh N Lean’s Protein+ plan could be ideal for bodybuilders.
- Fresh N Lean is an affordable meal delivery option for bodybuilders.
- Fresh N Lean uses organically-sourced ingredients.
- Fresh N Lean does not offer nutritionist support, which could be helpful when eating for a specific body aesthetic goal.
- These meals weren’t created specifically for bodybuilders.
- Meals might be too ornate for someone looking for an uncomplicated menu.
Fresh N Lean Meals for Bodybuilders
According to their website, the average macro breakdown of a Fresh N Lean Protein+ meal is 36 grams of protein, 43 grams of carbs, 16 grams of fat, and 490 calories. Fresh N Lean also provides the option to order prepared meat in bulk. Sample recipes from Fresh N Lean’s Protein+ plan include:
- Chicken Andouille and Shrimp Jambalaya with Rice
- Cheesy Beef Sloppy Joe and Mushroom Bowl
- Mustard Dill Sirloin Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Balsamic Vegetables
- Braised Beef with Lentils and Spinach Pesto
- Teriyaki Chicken Breast with Green Beans & Quinoa
Fresh N' Lean offers organic, non-GMO ingredients available to suit a wide variety of leading restriction diets like Keto, Paleo, Whole30, Mediterranean Diet, Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, and more. If you need a delicious meal prep service to fit your diet, Fresh N' Lean is the one.
Fresh N Lean Offers Fresh and Easy Delivery
Fresh N Lean meals are delivered fresh and can be placed directly in the fridge and consumed within 7-10 days. I’m a fan of the fresh delivery model because it means all your meals for the week are on hand and ready to eat.
Fresh N Lean is an Affordable Meal Delivery Service for Bodybuilders
Fresh N Lean’s Protein+ plan is an affordable meal delivery option for bodybuilders. Fresh N Lean allows you to 5 or 7 days per week, and you can choose to add breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Their three meals per day for five days plan is $162.35, which comes out to just under $11 per meal.
Factor for Bodybuilders
Factor offers a Protein Plus plan that contains high protein and high carbohydrate options that could be just what a bodybuilder needs.
Factor delivers boxes of freshly prepared meals weekly. One of the standout pros of Factor’s meal delivery is that they offer consultations with dietitians.
Also read: RealEats vs Factor: Who’s The Real Winner?
- Factor meals are never frozen.
- They offer a lot of variety for high protein, high carbohydrate meals.
- Factor offers a complimentary nutrition consultation, which is key when increasing macronutrient intake to this degree.
- Easy to pause or cancel if you need to.
- Factor wasn’t created specifically for bodybuilders.
- You might need some guidance in selecting the plan that will help you achieve your goals.
- Factor is not a good option for someone looking to feed their family.
What Is in a Factor Protein Plus Box?
Factor High Protein meals contain a lot of protein and a high amount of carbs, which makes the meals ideal for bodybuilders.
For instance, the Roasted Garlic Filet Mignon & Shrimp with Roasted Broccoli, Garlic-Chive Potatoes & Scallion Sour Cream Protein Plus meal contains 54 grams of protein, 41 grams of carbohydrates, and 33 grams of fat.
Here are some sample offerings from Factor Protein Plus options; I think their menu is more vibrant and tastier than most others that I’ve tried, especially when it comes to healthier home delivery meals.
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta with Garlicky Broccoli
- Roasted Garlic Filet Mignon & Shrimp with Roasted Broccoli, Garlic-Chive Potatoes & Scallion Sour Cream
- Creamy Cilantro-Jalapeño Chicken with Sweet Potatoes, Chile Cauliflower & Peppers
- Chicken Fajita Bowl with Stewed Black Beans & Chipotle Crema
- Shredded Chicken Taco Bowl with Roasted Corn Salsa & Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
Factor Offers Fresh Delivery
Factor meals are also received fresh and can last about seven to ten days in the refrigerator – there is no need to freeze the meals, which lends to enhanced flavor and texture and helps busy bodybuilders save time on meal prep. Less time preparing meals means more time making gains in the gym — a win/win!
Factor is an Affordable Option for a Meal Delivery Service for Bodybuilders
When building your Factor plan, you can choose to receive between 6 and 18 meals per week. The price for eight Factor meals per week is $103.92, which makes their meals about $13 each.
The cost per meal decreases when volume increases, so the more you order, the more affordable an option Factor becomes. Factor offers a trial week at a significant discount, which is a great way to try out their program.
Factor vs Others
Here’s how Factor Meals compares to the leading competitors in market:
- Factor vs CookUnity Compared
- Factor vs Green Chef Compared
- Factor vs HelloFresh Compared
- Factor vs Trifecta Nutrition Compared
- Factor vs Home Chef Compared
- Factor vs EveryPlate Compared
- Factor vs Sun Basket Compared
Territory Foods Options for Bodybuilders
Territory Foods delivers fresh prepared meals weekly. Territory Foods meals contain fresh, organic ingredients, which is definitely a plus.
One major benefit for bodybuilders is that Territory Foods uses antibiotic and hormone-free meats. Since bodybuilders tend to eat a lot of meat to increase their protein intake, eating high-quality meats is an important consideration.
- I like Territory Foods’ focus on clean ingredients.
- Their meals are created by chefs, which means they are tasty.
- Territory Foods’ meals are delivered twice per week, which means they stay super fresh.
- Territory Foods is more pricey than many plans.
- Their Performance Nutrition meals are on the lower end of protein content compared to other bodybuilder-friendly meal delivery services.
- Territory Foods does not offer dietitian support.
Territory Foods’ Performance Nutrition Meals Might Fit a Bodybuilder’s Needs
Territory Foods’ Performance Nutrition meals contain at least 25 grams of protein and 40 grams of carbohydrates. This program was designed to enhance athletic performance.
Sample menu items from Territory Foods’ Performance Nutrition plan include:
- Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde and Zucchini-Corn Relish
- Grilled Chicken with North African-Style Vegetables
- Beef Burger with Yassa Onion Jam
- Roasted Chicken Au Jus with Parsnip Purée
- Seafood Arrabiata with Red Lentil Spaghetti
Territory Foods Delivers Twice Per Week
Territory Foods delivers subscription boxes twice weekly, which helps ensure that you’re eating really fresh real food meals every day.
Territory Foods Lets You Build Your Own Box
Territory Foods sells a package of eight meals for $123.60; instead of prescribing your meals for the week, you select which meals to place in the box. You can add on as many meals as you’d like for approximately $15 per meal.
Meal Pro Offers a Plan Designed Specifically for Bodybuilders
Meal Pro has a high-protein, high-carbohydrate meal plan designed for bodybuilders. Their bodybuilder meals feature high-protein options alongside low-glycemic vegetables such as peas, sweet corn, and green veggies.
- Meal Pro offers a program that was created with bodybuilders’ unique dietary needs in mind.
- Meal Pro provides a lot of high-protein options.
- Their meals are no-frills muscle-building meals.
- Some of the Meal Pro meals are extremely high in protein; I would check with a nutritionist before consuming these meals regularly.
- Meal Pro does not offer dietitian support.
- Meal Pro’s menu options are simple and could become boring after some time.
What’s on the Menu for Meal Pro’s Bodybuilder Plan?
These meals are high in lean protein, carbohydrates, and calories to fuel bodybuilders’ intensive dietary needs. Here is a sample of what a box from Meal Pro could look like; these meals contain up to 109 grams of protein and up to 93 grams of carbohydrates per meal (that’s a lot!).
- Garlic Chicken
- Athlete Salmon
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Steak Fajitas
- Wild Salmon Meal
Meal Pro Meals are Delivered Fresh
Meal Pro plans are delivered fresh, after which point you can either refrigerate or freeze your meals, depending on when you plan to eat them.
How Much Does Meal Pro’s Meal Plan for Bodybuilders Cost?
Meal Pro offers two different plans. The first is a box with 18 meals, which does not include shipping and their suggested plan, a package of 20 pre-prepared meals that includes shipping fees. The 20-meal plan costs $291.80, which breaks down to about $14.59 per meal. Meal Pro also gives you the option to create your own box from a menu of à la carte options.
ICON Meals for Bodybuilders
ICON Meals are meals designed for clean eating; they offer several high-protein meal options each week that could be great for people who want to build muscles. ICON Meals also offers high-protein snacks and condiments, such as protein popcorn, protein butter, and sauces.
- ICON Meals offers a lot of high-protein options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Their meals are hearty.
- ICON Meals offers local pickup if you’re in the Dallas area.
- ICON Meals doesn’t offer nutrition counseling or support.
- ICON Meals menu items seem more hearty than healthy meals.
- These meals are pricier than some other options.
What’s in an ICON Meals High-Protein Box
Each ICON Meals high-protein meal contains about 46-64 grams of protein and offers more of other macronutrients, too, making ICON Meals an excellent option for bodybuilders.
For example, their Ground Bison & Cheesy Ravioli meal contains 55 grams of protein, 55 grams of carbs, and 33 grams of fat. Here are some sample meal options for ICON Meals.
- Beefy Mac & Cheese w/Broccoli
- Ground Bison & Cheesy Ravioli
- Mike’s Chili Mac
- Spanish Chicken Bowl
- Sweet & Savory Brisket Dinner
ICON Meals are Delivered Fresh and Can Be Picked Up in Dallas
ICON Meals are delivered fresh and can be kept in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months. ICON Meals also offers local pickup in Dallas, Texas.
ICON Meals are Slightly More Expensive than Other Meal Delivery Services
ICON Meals’ Bulk Box costs $199 for a box of 12 meals, which amounts to about $16.60 per meal. You can order one box or subscribe to get boxes delivered every 1-4 weeks.
Honorable Mentions: Other Bodybuilding Meal Options
There are a variety of other great meal delivery service options that could be suitable for bodybuilders.
They didn’t quite make my cut, but I’ll mentioned them here for specific situations:
- Trifecta Nutrition: Trifecta is a nutrition and fitness forward meal kit (or premade meal) service, with doctor designed programs to meet your fitness objectives. They specialize in high protein meals that are ready to heat and eat. Worth considering, but definitely in the premium pricing tier.
- My Muscle Chef: I haven’t tried this one yet, but I do like the optionality and relative affordability of their high protein workout meals here.
- Muscle Meals 2 Go: Another one I have yet to try, but I like their 3 plan focus on Lean Weight Loss, Maintain, and Gain plans based on your fitness objectives (great for cutting and/or bulking).
- Snap Kitchen: If you live in Texas, this is a great option for cost effective but high quality meals with organic ingredients from local Whole Foods stores. Snap Kitchen is currently only active in the Dallas, Austin, and Houston markets, but should be rolling out to other locales soon.
- Green Chef: If you have dietary restrictions (like Gluten Free), Green Chef is one of the few meal options with great flexible plans for most major diets.
Final Recommendation for the Best Meal Delivery Service for Bodybuilders
All of the above meals may support a bodybuilder’s unique dietary needs. And each of these services offers great-tasting meals, though they vary in complexity. While several meal delivery services cater to bodybuilders, it is best to work with a meal plan that provides dietitian support.
The macronutrient needs of bodybuilders are specific and often extreme, so professional guidance is helpful. I like that Factor offers a dietitian consult; this service could be beneficial to someone who is making significant changes to their diet.
Based on that recommendation, I think Factor is the best meal delivery service for bodybuilders who need to ensure that they can hit their macros and nutrition needs.