- How to Cancel Marley Spoon Easily - February 4, 2024
- How to Cancel Hungryroot Quickly - January 3, 2024
- Daily Harvest Alternatives & Competitors [Worth Switching] - January 1, 2024
If you are stuck between Daily Harvest vs Hungryroot, this comparison is for you.
As a busy dad, I’m constantly on the lookout for healthy an QUICK meal options that don’t involve much prep work and/or can be integrated into our family rhythm.
My wife and I have tried Daily Harvest over the years, and Hungryroot sent us a sample of their service in 2023.
Our editorial team has also extensively tested and tried BOTH of these service, recently completing a full review & unboxing of Hungryroot and updating our Daily Harvest review with their updated offerings.
I wanted to create this specific comparison because most people have to pick JUST ONE service.
Hungryroot and Daily Harvest are actually fairly different across a broad set of criteria, so by the end of this article you should know which camp you are in.
TL;DR: I love BOTH of these services but for different reason. For busy people who already don’t have time to meal prep, Daily Harvest is the winner in my view. But for families or those looking for a budget-friendly meal service, Hungryroot is the better option.
The Main Differences
While both services have their unique features and offerings, there are significant differences that set them apart.
- Daily Harvest offers 80 meals ranging from harvest bowls to soups to smoothies, while Hungryroot consists of about 66 offerings in a month and is mostly oriented around family meal planning.
- Daily Harvest offers ready to eat (frozen) meal and snack options, whereas Hungryroot is a grocery replacement & full meal prep service that exposes you to new supermarket brands AND teaches you how to cook with them.
- Daily Harvest offers a la carte “fill the box” selection process (you pick exactly what you want), whereas Hungryroot has you take a quiz and then sends you what they think meets your criteria.
- Daily Harvest meals consist of 200 to 400 calories per serving on average, while Hungryroot meals consist of 115 (snacks) to 600 calories (meals) per serving on average.
- Daily Harvest offers a variety of transparent up front price ranges for different on-the-go meal replacement options, whereas Hungryroot offers customized package based on the number of people you are feeding.
The Introduction: What’s the Story?
Daily Harvest is a subscription-based meal delivery service that specializes in pre-made frozen smoothies, meals, and snacks. It was established in 2014 by Rachel Drori in New York, USA. The company focuses on providing ready-to-eat vegan food with minimal preparation required.
On the other hand, Hungryroot is an online grocery delivery service that offers customizable meal kits and snacks. Founded by Benjamin McKean in 2015, Hungryroot sends its food in a cardboard box packed with fresh ingredients that require some cooking and preparation.
Interestingly, BOTH of these brands were founded around the same time and have stuck around through the pandemic, post-pandemic, and venture capital slowdown. Both seem durable, have product market fit, and here to stay.
What is Daily Harvest?
Daily Harvest is a meal delivery service that focuses on delivering pre-portioned, superfood-packed smoothies, bowls, and other eats, prepared and frozen for convenience.
The ingredients are all 100% natural, non-GMO, and 95% organic, ensuring high nutritional value. From harvest bowls to soups to smoothies, Daily Harvest offers a variety of options to choose from. The meals are pre-made and require minimal preparation.
What is Hungryroot?
Hungryroot, on the other hand, is a combination of the online grocery store and meal kit delivery service. It provides a list of groceries and snacks with recipes to use them.
Hungryroot foods are centered on plants, and they don’t contain artificial ingredients like trans-fat, refined sugars, and preservatives. Its meals consist of complex carbohydrates, nutrients, and healthy fats.
Hands On Meal Unboxings
Here’s some examples of what you get with each service.
Daily Harvest Unboxing Experience
Hungryroot Unboxing & Experience
Overall Take: I like the convenience of Daily Harvest, but really only LOVE their smoothies. That’s what they are known for and as Lacey pointed out in our hands-on review, the cups and bowls aren’t what they are cracked up to be. SO, for smoothies, definitely go with Daily Harvest.
That said, the more consistent experience and better value for most people is Hungryroot here. I love that it exposes you to new brands (grocery store items) and how to incorporate them into delicious meals.
My at a Glance Summary: Daily Havest vs Hungryroot
Here’s how I’d sum up the contrasts based on the key relevant criteria I’d personally consider:
|Offers pre-portioned frozen meals and smoothies that can be easily prepared in minutes.
|Provides a wide range of ready-to-cook meals, snacks, and groceries that can be customized to suit individual preferences.
|Emphasizes on using organic and whole ingredients, with a focus on plant-based options.
|Offers a variety of wholesome and nutritious options, including plant-based, gluten-free, and allergen-free choices.
|Provides a diverse menu with options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts.
|Offers a wide selection of recipes and ingredients, allowing for greater flexibility and customization.
|Sources high-quality, sustainably grown ingredients, ensuring freshness and taste.
|Ensures that all ingredients are sourced from trusted suppliers, with an emphasis on quality and flavor.
|Allows customers to choose from a range of dietary preferences and restrictions, tailoring their meals to their specific needs.
|Provides a personalized shopping experience, considering dietary preferences, allergies, and even specific recipe requests.
|Offers flexible subscription plans, allowing customers to easily customize their deliveries and skip weeks as needed.
|Provides the option to customize the frequency and contents of deliveries, ensuring flexibility and convenience.
|Offers pre-portioned meals, helping to control portion sizes and manage calorie intake.
|Provides portion control options, allowing customers to easily manage their food portions and maintain a balanced diet.
|Support for Special Diets
|Offers options for specific diets, including vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
|Accommodates various dietary needs, including vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and allergen-free options.
|Commits to eco-friendly packaging and sustainable sourcing practices.
|Focuses on reducing food waste and promoting sustainable farming practices.
So Who Should Go with Daily Harvest or Hungryroot?
It’s cleary a personal preference, but these services are DIFFERENT enough where I think there’s a core demographic for each. If the following fits your profile, go for it!
- Too Busy to Prep? If you are already strapped for time and can’t fit meal prep into the equation, the clear winner here is Daily Harvest with their “ready to eat” options.
- Want Inspiration? Hungryroot is the option here, with their unique focus on using commonly available groceries to TEACH you to be a better cook & get dinner on the table.
- Family Focused? If you are cooking for a family, the more economical and crowd-pleasing choice here is going to be Hungryroot, particularly with their inclusion of healthy snacks.
- Need more fruits and veggies? Daily Harvest is probably the most efficient way to hit your daily numbers here.
- Need to know what you get? If you actually DON’T like surprises, Daily Harvest gives you ultimate control over what you like (e.g. you don’t need no dang quiz!).
Still Looking for Other Meal Delivery Kit Options?
We’ve also created some handy guides based on difference specific use cases. Check these meal delivery guides out for further inspiration:
- Hungryroot vs Purple Carrot
- Daily Harvest vs Thistle
- Daily Harvest vs Splendid Spoon
- Daily Harvest vs Sakara Life
- Daily Harvest vs Revive Superfoods
- Top Daily Harvest Alternatives
- Top Gluten Free Meal Delivery Services Guide
- Top Vegan Meal Delivery Services Guide
- Top Vegetarian Meal Delivery Services Guide
- Top Mediterranean Meal Delivery Services Guide
- Top Paleo Meal Delivery Services Guide
- Best Affordable Meal Delivery Services
- Best Meal Delivery for Families
- Best Fitness Focused Meal Delivery Services
- Best Heart Healthy Meal Delivery Services
- Best Postpartum Meal Delivery Services
- Best Bodybuilding Meal Delivery Services